Bears Are Back
Please Secure Your Trash
Springtime reminds us that the warmer weather has bears waking up from their winter hibernation. Along with April showers and May flowers the active black bear season also returns to our area. Take time now to ensure your trash and compost are secured!
The Colorado Department of Wildlife notes that "Black bears are curious, intelligent, and very resourceful; they will explore all possible food sources. If they find food near homes, campgrounds, vehicles, or communities, they’ll come back for more." Typically, bears that find food sources in town are likely to stay close to town, which increases the chance of human encounters and the bears losing their natural fear of people.
Following these tips to bear proof your home or business can help protect you, your family and hopefully save a bear.
- Put your trash out the morning of your trash pick up.
- Do NOT put it out the night before.
- If possible, store your trash and compost in a house, garage, shed or other enclosed area until the morning of collection.
- Remove bird feeders. Feed birds in winter months only.
- Both Western Disposal and One Way Trash Service offer bear proof trash bins for residential and commercial services. Contact your trash provider and ask about their bear proof system containers.