After two public hearings in December 2017 and January 2018, the Board of Trustees approved an ordinance creating the Stormwater Utility as an enterprise fund, and in doing so, set a Town-wide stormwater management fee.
A stormwater management fee is a fixed monthly charge for customers within town limits. All properties within Town limit will pay a flat monthly fee per parcel. Rates pay for the construction and maintenance of the stormwater system to better protect Lyons during storms and floods. The fee is used to support flood infrastructure, maintenance, regulatory compliance, water quality monitoring, hazards, and storm water quality education programs.
Most of the stormwater challenges are a result of off-site flows from outside of Town, which can be attributed to Lyons unique geography. As a result, the Town decided that all properties should pay the same fee, regardless of coverage, impervious area, or other criteria.
Every parcel within the Town shall be assessed $10 monthly fee for operations and maintenance of the storm drainage system, and for storm drainage capital improvements. The town's storm water drainage system connects directly to the St. Vrain Creek. Protecting stormwater quality keeps our waterways healthy and preserves wildlife habitat.
Services and Programs
One of the greatest natural threats to Lyons is a stormwater inundation, due to a rain/weather storm. The Hazardous Incident Risk Assessment (HIRA) Report identified strategies to strengthen Lyons and protect people and structures from flooding, in the event of a significant storm which is a serious threat to Lyons.
The following services and programs are set initiatives of the enterprise:
- Implement the Master Plan for drainage basins in the Town of Lyons.
- Prioritize projects for improvement, based on the Stormwater Master Plan.
- Improve existing stormwater facilities that have deteriorated.
- Work on drainage improvement projects that are designed and prioritized to provide cost-effective flood protection.
- Develop floodplain maps with specific information about the flooding risk in each basin.
- Projects are financed through the Stormwater Utility.
- Work to protect and maintain the quality of streams, rivers and other vital water resources.
Every parcel within the Town shall be assessed and charged the following monthly user fee for operations and maintenance of the storm drainage system, and for storm drainage capital improvements.
Monthly rates, effective March 2018
|MONTHLY USER FEE|
|Residential Customer (per parcel)||$10.00|
|Nonresidential (all other zoning districts) Customers||$10.00|